Re: [LUG] Help Please - Gnome desktop

On 08/04/11 20:29, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 08/04/11 20:27, David Bell wrote:
Is there a way of calling up URL's using desktop icons on the Gnome
desktop as can be done with KDE desktop?

TIA

I think you do this by clicking go - location
you can then enter a url

i do that when i need to go to places such as my hosting server on ftp e.g

ftp://ftp.host.com for example

Paul

Doesn't work so well on Mint.

I just created a new location link...

Right click desktop, select "Create Launcher"

Select Location from the "Type" drop down menu and under "Location" enter http://www.somewebaddress.com

Then trying to open it opens gedit with the HTML for the page.

I you could instead create a launcher, select Application and enter...

firefox http://www.somewebaddress.com

...in the command box.

This will launch Firefox and open the page, or open a new tab in an existing Firefox window and open the page.

Rob