Re: [LUG] Version for converts/newbies

On 08/04/11 18:21, Tony Ferris wrote:
I'm completely biased towards Pclinuxos. Four years ago I was bored with
Microsoft and its offerings and needed a challenge. I'd heard vaguely
about this OS called Linux and immediately tried Ubuntu as that seemed
to be what everyone was using. Problems with Video/wireless drivers and
flash, Java and codecs not working out of the box pushed me back to my
XP box. Someone suggested Pclinuxos 2007 and it was a complete breath of
fresh air. Everything seemed to work well from the beginning. It booted
fast, didn't suffer viruses and even looked like XP. It has a Control
Center based on Mandriva's and just everything seemed easy to understand.

Thankfully, they waited a while before implementing KDE 4 and now I
believe have the best take on this desktop. Believe me I've tried pretty
much everything Including Arch and Debian (Both of which I like and have
on a partition somewhere) but I always come back to Pclinuxos. Its major
drawback is that its basically a 'one man show'. But as long as Texstar
is at the helm I'll continue to use it.

Great distro for beginners.

Cheers,
Tony

This is one of the great things about Linux, having choice, but I guess it could also be a hindrance too. I wonder how many of us go on about the different options of Windows (Windows 7 Starter, Home Premium, Profressional, Enterprise, Windows 2008 R2 Server etc) and forget the different distros out there? (I know I'm guilty of that, especially when Vista came out, although to be fair distros are different generally rather all being a kind of a version of the same thing but with 20 different options to go for).

I did try PCLinuxOS a while back but never got on with it. One of these days I will take another look. I have used Mandrake (and Mandriva) in the past, the first time I ever tried Mandrake it wouldn't let me login.

Looking at screen shots of the Mandriva Control Center, it looks like the Control Centre in Linux Mint, I wouldn't be surprised if Linux Mint borrowed the Mandriva Control Center and tweaked it a little.

Rob