Re: [LUG] EICC

On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 6:30 PM, Rob Beard <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 02/04/11 17:09, Paul Sutton wrote:
>>
>> How did it go up in exeter today ?
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Quite well.  I got there just after 1pm with the memory for 2 of the
> laptops.  I fitted it and thankfully it worked okay, so we now have two
> laptops there with 1280MB Ram :-)
>
> We got Linux Mint 10 LXDE edition installed on a couple of the laptops from
> USB stick.  The version we were using was slightly modified in that it was
> using the LibreOffice and Mozilla Firefox PPA repositories which gave it
> Firefox 4 and LibreOffice 3.3.2 (I removed Gnumeric and Abiword).
>
> We had a couple of non-LUG members turn up, a woman called Claire and her
> elderly father Ron who was interested in trying Linux.
>
> He had an Acer Aspire desktop PC running Vista *shudders*.  I installed
> Linux Mint 10 Gnome edition (the CD version) alongside his existing install
> of Vista and explained things as I was going along.  So far so good until it
> came to doing the updates over the internet.  He didn't have a wireless card
> in his desktop and there was no direct wired ethernet connection available.
>  I did get around this by sharing the wifi using my laptop so he could pick
> up the internet via my laptop although it wasn't particuarly reliable.
>
> He then told us that he was on Talktalk dialup.  It turns out he has an old
> USB SpeedTouch 330 ADSL modem which Talktalk provided.  So I then went with
> Ron and Claire over to his house and finished setting up his PC getting his
> Internet connection working with the modem (it's a pain in the backside to
> get working, there is an old Debian package available but it depends on some
> packages that aren't available in Ubuntu 10.10 or Linux Mint 10 but it
> doesn't actually need them to run!).  In the end I extracted the Debian
> package and copied stuff into place manually to get him up and running.
>
> So he's happy he's dual booting, he can get the Internet on Linux Mint, his
> printer was picked up straight away (it's an Epson Stylus) and I left him
> with my e-mail address and mobile number.  I also installed TeamViewer on
> his machine so if he has any issues I *should* be able to offer a bit of
> support remotely (although I'm hoping I won't have to give him much
> support).
>
> While I was installing Linux Mint on his desktop at the community centre his
> daughter Claire installed Linux Mint from a USB stick on one of the laptops.
>  She said it was reasonabaly easy.  She's going to come back next month and
> 'adopt' a laptop for £25.  Rick is going to take a photo and try and get a
> press release about it in the paper.  We're also going to look at updating
> the LTSP on the server there as I believe Ubuntu 8.04 LTS reaches end of
> life on the desktop this month.
>
> It was good to see Viv and Phil too and I finally got to meet Dave Hare (at
> least I'm sure Rick said it was Dave Hare, appologies if I've got it wrong).
> [...]

Sounds like a cracking day Rob (et al). Brilliant!

I am impressed you went round the chaps house to finish the install
off. Well done!  As I (and others) have mentioned before I think that
kind of support is essential to give someone (esp. a non-geek) a good
linux introduction :-) nice job.

Roly :-)