Re: [LUG] 90,000,000

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 04:18:29AM +0000, Simon Waters wrote:

> As noted in the Information Week article, Microsoft shares haven't been
> an especially good investment since the heady days of the late 90's, so
> it is probably more to do with keeping share holder confidence than
> value that has persuaded him to keep so many for so long.
>
> Microsoft are cash rich, so pay regular dividends, and are seen "safe"
> by analysts (although I think that might be overstated, since they are
> dependent on a relative small number of products for the bulk of their
> revenue).

Last time I looked and please be careful with the following as some of their
sections have changed in definition but I thought the trend interesting

Operating income (loss)              31 Dec 06     30 Sep 10
Windows & Windows Live Division          1,838         3,323
Server and Tools                           981         1,630
Online Services Division                  -118          -560
Microsoft Business Division              2,152         3,388
Entertainment and Devices Division        -302           382
Corporate-level activity                -1,079        -1,047
  Consolidated                           3,472         7,116

Figures are in USD m for the three months ending on the dates specified.
Operating income excludes items such as tax and is not formally defined in
the way "Profit" is.

Data is at http://www.microsoft.com/investor/default.aspx. Looking at which
I need to update the spreadsheet for the December quarter and read their
results.

The only argument I can think is that some corporates, councils and
Governments prefer to pay the premium to MS.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.