Re: [LUG] OT: Cars was Re: Is anyone actually going today?

On 06/02/11 13:40, Gordon Henderson wrote:

I've just used the facilities of http://www.servicingstop.co.uk/ to get
my car serviced and MOTd, however I would not recommend them, nor will I
use them ever again as their price was actually higher than Mercedes
would have charged me for a standard "level 2" service - Merc. includes
all the consumables in the price they give you, Servicing stop didn't -
and they didn't warn me of this either. I also found it very frustrating
to have to deal with a call centre (in the UK) who then called the
garage, etc. rather then deal with the garage directly. They seem to tie
the garages up into exclusivity contracts too, so while I was happy with
the garages work, I can't go directly to them, but must always use
Servicing Stop...
Interesting. I just used nsn for my wife's car, took the car in rather than have it collected to save money. The diagnosis was to change discs as well as pads on the front and the garage quoted nearly £40 less! No tie up. In theory they might have sourced the parts more cheaply and so charged less but the "service" they offer has a lot of overheads so costs quite a bit. The number of phone calls seemed large, though they were necessary. To be able to call and have the car picked up with a guarantee to beat the price given by the Manufacturer's network of dealers must be good for some people. It attracted us as they seemed always exorbitant. But now we know the company (HiQ) and the lads there seemed competent, efficient and friendly. Also much nearer with shops nearby and a coffee shop.

James

--
James Kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk