[LUG] GDM hang

My ancient but up-to-date debian laptop's GDM is hanging.

Pentium III (Coppermine), 600MHz, 512 MB RAM, internal 6 GB and external 40 GB HDs, S3 Savage/MX-MV video.

I can ssh in; command-line stuff seems exactly as performant as usual. pgrep'ing gdm seems to show GDM repeatedly respawning gdm-greeter; it never shows up on screen. I can kill GDM, leaving a blank screen, and do a clean shut down, but on restart GDM just hangs again with a wristwatch pointer on a solid black background.

Mouse movement updates to the pointer occur, so I guess the X server is OK; as expected, Ctl-Alt-F1 gets me a working console prompt; Ctl- Alt-F7 gets me back to the wristwatch.

There's plenty of space on both the external USB HD, housing /home and showing 55% full, and the internal HD, housing everything else in one partition and showing 86% full. Both formatted ext3 and mounting clean. Small swap partitions on both.

Other hardware: PCMCIA 10/100 Mbps Ethernet card, USB Bluetooth dongle, USB mouse.

Nothing newly installed or updated that I can think of since the last working boot. The machine is used by all four members of my family but only I can run apt* or sudo.

What should I do?

--
Phil Hudson                      PGP/GnuPG ID: 0x887DCA63
http://hudson-it.no-ip.biz                 @UWascalWabbit