Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

On Sat, 22 Jan 2011, Neil Winchurst wrote:

I'd also look into using rsync (which needs ssh or rsh) if you want to
easilly copy a few (or lots) of files that change infrequently. (or
frequently) It's easier to just type the rsync command (or put it in a
script) and let it work out which files have changed than to remember to
upload the files you've changed recently...

I have had a look at rsync which also seems complicated. Anyway it seems that I need to set up SSH first, so I must work out how to do that.

The only thing complicated about rsync is working out when it's going to copy a directory or create a new one inside an existing one.

Read the man page as it's sensitive about trailing slashes on pathnames.

Gordon