Re: [LUG] Security and SSH

On Fri, 21 Jan 2011, Philip Hudson wrote:

One thing nobody mentioned so far is the use of public keys to give secure transparent remote access -- no passwords. Among many other benefits, this allows you to script remote machines -- something ssh offers that FTP, telnet etc cannot do.

Actually... It's very possible to script things like FTP, telnet, etc. and I was doing it before ssh was invented... Lookup the 'expect' utility for the details.

Rsh is also avalable, although since most people never bothered to secure it properly, it got a bit of a bad vibe - it's unencrypted though - however it's handy for use with slow machines where the encryption part of ssh slows things down. I really wish I could turn encryption off on ssh (scp/rsync) data sometimes, but still leave the encrypted part of the password/key exchange in-place.

Gordon