Re: [LUG] More on Facebook

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 09:15:19AM +0000, Gordon Henderson wrote:

> It seems they're opening up the information avalable to
> developers... Now a face book application can get your address and
> phone number (if you allow it)
>
> http://url.drogon.net/j
> or
>
> http://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2011/01/16/rogue-facebook-apps-access-your-home-address-mobile-phone-number/

IF facebook is worth $50bn then according to Google there are about 129
such other companies quoted on the American market. These include

Barclays (Market Cap 59B)
Diageo (Market Cap 48B)
Boeing (Market Cap $51B)
Nokia (Market Cap $41B)
Google (Market Cap $200B)

http://www.google.com/finance/stockscreener#c0=MarketCap&min0=40000000000&c1=PE&c2=DividendYield&c3=Price52WeekPercChange&region=us&sector=AllSectors&sort=&sortOrder=

The approximate Price to Earnings Ratio of these companies varies from
about 10 to 25

If I assume that Facebooks PE is 30, then that means that Facebook should
be making

Market Cap / 30 = $1.6bn profit a year post tax

The only way it will be able to continue to do that is provide more
valuable data for advertisers for them to sell products to Facebook's users.

I admit that this is exactly what Google does (hence Google Aps, Gmail
etc: all of which provide data for advertisers). Read
http://www.google.com/privacy/privacy-policy.html
http://www.facebook.com/policy.php?_fb_noscript=1.

I do not see how that can be reconciled with keeping users information
private.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding.