Re: [LUG] Floors are up... is it worth running fibre optic to every room to futureproof?

On 16/01/11 18:43:01, Malcolm Blackmore wrote:
Thinking ahead to the convergence of all things being networked over
the
next decade and not wanting to run lots of cables around the outside
of
the house in trunking, is it crazy to want to run optic into each room where any conceivable networked device might come into existence (like
monitoring the fridge and central heating or having a camera on the
doorbell interrogated from afar over the 'net!)???

No it is not crazy, but I think it would be cost prohibitive at the moment, depending on how much you want to spend. I would pick the rooms where you might think you need lots of bandwidth and go with that. You might get away with FO in 1 or two rooms and then spread out with GB ethernet from there. I can't see you wanting FO in your bedroom, but you might want an ethernet enabled device.

I dumped 4 drops in each room, with 2 in the kitchen, 8 in my office, 12 in the cellar and 2 in garden and 2 in the loft ... you can never have enough. Oh and 8 in the garage, it was going to be were the servers etc were going to be based, but then I wanted mythtv and underfloor heating seemed to be a bonus.

Like power sockets that are all in the wrong place and have added 2 in the kitchen behind the fridge and 2 in the bedroom near the bed.
--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\