Re: [LUG] Floors are up... is it worth running fibre optic to every room to futureproof?

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:43:01 +0000
Malcolm Blackmore wrote:

> The upstairs corridor that runs the length of the house (55'x16', odd
> long and thin house design) is all up and loosened in order to correct
> electrical faults - and we are wondering whether it is worth running
> fibre optic under the boards at this point to terminate in every room
> in the house.
>
> I don't intend to lift this floor again for the next 20 years! It is
> probably going to be laminated or even tiled due to my daughter's
> serious problem with allergies. So once it is down it is staying down.
>
> How much does it cost per metre for fibre? What size of fibre?
>
> I suspect the killer is the cost of fibre to ethernet conversion box
> or thingummy in each room used!
>
> Unfortunately the joists have been really hacked about and due to a
> particularly incompent wiring job there is little if any space to run
> multiple instances of gigabit wires without touching electric cable,
> which can cause eddy currents in twisted pair up to 20 volts and I've
> killed a couple of ethernet cards in the past where cables have
> touched.
>
> I really don't want to weaken the joists which are carrying the entire
> weight of upstairs concrete block walls and the tile roof by drilling
> any more holes or cutting any more notches (although every single
> board has a notch going across its middle with a wire and a pipe,
> literally every one, so there is no room for another set of notches).
>
> It is a "5" bedroom house (most 8x7 boxrooms with a couple used as
> studies for us and the kids) and 3 rooms downstairs, all easily
> accessible if I don't have to worry about touching electric cabling
> which I assume fibre optic will be indifferent to.
>
> Thinking ahead to the convergence of all things being networked over
> the next decade and not wanting to run lots of cables around the
> outside of the house in trunking, is it crazy to want to run optic
> into each room where any conceivable networked device might come into
> existence (like monitoring the fridge and central heating or having a
> camera on the doorbell interrogated from afar over the 'net!)???
>
> Wireless is so crowded in our small town, within the local vicinity.
> it is often not possible to log onto the wireless router.
>
> As an aside can one get better aerials to screw into wireless routers
> that pump out more power and literally drown out some of the
> neighbours (wireless wars commence eh).
>
> Best wishes and happy new year to everyone
> Malcolm

Sounds like an interesting project.  When I laid Cat5e throughout my
Mum's house I ran it along-side the plumbing to avoid issues with
running too close to power cables, but I can completely understand the
desire to cut straight to FO to hopefully future-proof yourself.

Good luck.

Grant. :)