Re: [LUG] PayPal alternatives

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011, Simon Waters wrote:

After the recent Wikileaks activity, wish to switch a small system I
wrote to someone other than Paypal.

I need a simple subscription/recharging model.

Currently it bills people for a year, and PayPal emails then a
cancellation option when the next year is due. Either way I need
positive notification when the service is cancelled, or a simple option
to cancel repeat payments.

Need to take payment from as many english speaking countries as possible
(at least UK and US).

Sums involved are minimal, so I need almost no set-up fee.

Per transaction fee up to 50p or 10% are fine, given typical transaction
is £5.

I've drawn up a list of vendors who might do (and misplaced it), so
until I find it can anyone recommend a suitable payment provider.

I'd be interested in what you find - however (without having a merchant account), I have used google checkout myself in the past. (and still do for some PAYG VoIP customers) I've never tried to do anything clever with it like do recurring payments, etc. though. Google put up their charges a while back to more or less mimic paypal - (just checked) they're 3.4% + 20p...

I've been looking at direct debits, but my bank wants me to lodge a silly amount of money with them for the "direct debit guarantee", however I looked into http://www.landz.co.uk/ recently - but it's not (yet) cost effective as the inital buy-in costs are still quite high...

Gordon