Re: [LUG] Computer recycling

On 09/01/11 20:10, Malcolm Blackmore wrote:

To the point: I have 3 Fujitsu P4 2.8-3.0ghz slimlines which are more
than just useful but simply don't have ram for them - do you have any of
the circa 1994 ram, think it succeeded sdram but can't remember what it
is called, or was it that sdram succeeded the early noughties ddr ram,
my memory is shot. [What is modern ram called??]

It could be standard DDR memory or DDR2.

If you know the model number of the machines have a look at http://www.crucial.com/uk as you should be able to look up the model number (or sometimes the model of motherboard as some branded machines have custom MSI or Asus boards in them) and find out what memory is required.

If it's DDR you might be able to pick some up cheaply on eBay, if it's DDR2 then brand new memory isn't too expensive at the moment (although DDR3 is getting cheaper now).

BTW, Ubuntu 10.04 doesn't run too bad on 512MB Ram, even with a 2Ghz CPU.

Rob