Re: [LUG] External hard drives

On Sun, 2010-12-19 at 17:32 +0000, NW wrote:
> I am wondering about using an external hard drive as back up to my hard
> drive. I have never used one so I am wondering if it is a good idea.
>
> Also, any recommendations about which make? And do they come ready
> formatted and if so which format? would it be sensible to format it to
> say Ext4?

I have a Western Digital 'mybook' USB external drive. 500MB in size (not
sure if you can get these anymore; it may be 1TB is the smallest now). I
think it came as FAT32. I repartitioned it to provide an area for my PC
backups, and an area just to dump ISO images I use for virtual machines.
The backup area is ext4 encrypted with a password. That way if someone
steals the drive, they can't simply restore from it to see what was on
my main PC. (The PC drive itself is also ext4 and encrypted.)

No problems with the drive, with using it under Linux (Fedora) or with
reformatting/repartitioning it.

John.

--
John Horne, University of Plymouth, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1752 587287    Fax: +44 (0)1752 587001