Re: [LUG] New Server anyone? (Cheap, HP!)

On 15/12/10 10:40, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, tom wrote:

On 15/12/10 09:46, Gordon Henderson wrote:
On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, tom wrote:

On 15/12/10 08:58, Gordon Henderson wrote:

http://www.it247.com/product/1/COMSUK23/612275-421-HP-ProLiant-MicroServer-Dual-Core-1-3Ghz-AMD-Athlon-II.html# Looks like a pretty good deal if you follow up the cash back offer too.

I guess that means that windoze really costs £100 .....
Its almost tempting but I can upgrade one of my current boxes to twice the power for 1/2 the price...

What kind of power?

For a small office/home server you don't need CPU power but you also don't need electrical power. This is reported at running at about 45 watts. Is that better than upgrading a 5 year old power sucker for a home server?

Gordon
My home server is a viglen box - that runs at about 10 watts + a bit more for the 350Gexternal usb disk when it powers up on demand. More than adequate for home use - I run 5 other pc's off it for proxy/printing/NFS etc.
and still £99.
A dual core machine would be used as a PC..

Yeabut... This is new... Shiney ....

Gordon
I've always liked shiney for something hidden away under the stairs.
To be honest with the cash back (why? is that to stop people buying a load?) its a good value pc - I'd imaging its more solid than anything dell can offer at that price - except they dont go that low...
Tom te tom te tom