Re: [LUG] Wifi connection

On 14/12/10 16:46, Neil Winchurst wrote:
On 14/12/10 11:30, David Hare wrote:

I use only Debian but this PROBABLY applies also to Ubuntu.

wpa_gui for me solved all annoyances with wireless. (is also in ubuntu)

It can be set up to allow all users in group "netdev" to connect
automatically to any configured network in range and to add new ones.

http://sidux.com/index.php?module=Wikula&tag=englishwparoaming

has a really good setup howto (I don't actually use sidux/aptosid)

Thanks. As you can see from my previous replies I have solved it, but I
will certainly look at sidux. Although I have used computers for many,
many years I am still fairly new to the networking side of it.

Thanks

Neil

I wouldn't recommend looking too closely at aptosid (previously sidux) unless you approve of arrogance from devs in forums and irc, indiscriminate banning of members and automated censorship (and agree that smxi is a rootkit) They did some good work in the beginning but later lost probably the bulk of their user base, including me.

No surprise the entire project imploded. Now renamed but same crew in charge. Most ex-users had already switched to straight Debian Sid.

However, that wiki article remains the best I have read on wpa_gui and applies to probably most Debian (or Debian-derived) distros.

I have found wpa_gui the most user-friendly tool for wlan management, particularly for anyone who uses multiple network locations.