Re: [LUG] Ubuntu install day at Exwick on 18th December

On 16/11/10 12:17, Gordon Henderson wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010, Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Rick Timmis has asked if we would be interested in an Ubuntu Install
>> Day on 18th December?
>>
>> I don't know much about the details so far but I gather there is some
>> big local event on at the Exwick Community Centre on that day so he
>> thought it might be a good me to do install day.
>>
>> I thought I'd mention it, I have a feeling that I might be busy on
>> that day being so close to Christmas.
>>
>> I also wonder if it could be worth doing a demo day rather than
>> install Day and then follow it up with an install Day in the new year?
>>
>> What does everyone think?
>
> Demo better than Install. Installs are boring and time consuming unless
> you know what you're doing and know the hardware (See Vivi's post!)
>
> Gordon

Well doing a demo day first means people can see what its all about then
decide if they want it installed,

Contrary to installs being boring, i think when we have done this at lug
meets for new users,  it has brought people together and there is a real
sense of achievement and teamwork after wards.

and the satisfaction there is one more user of Linux in the world :)

Give me a Linux install over a windows install any day.

if there are enough of us, then it makes a process like this less
tedious, as we can all work together,  i am always worried about doing
it all on my own for people that if i get stuck i have no one to turn to
to look at it (2nd pair of eyes always useful in these situations),
where as at a lug meet there is someone there that can help.

Paul

--

Paul Sutton Cert SLPS (Open)
http://www.zleap.net

17th September 2011 - Software freedom day