Re: [LUG] SMS message delivered protocol

On 15/11/10 07:07:18, Henry Bremridge wrote:

Some mobile phones / networks have a message delivered feature. An
issue
came up the other day as to when a message was delivered to a phone.
(Partly because I feel that it is less intrusive to send a text than
call a
mobile, when the other party could be busy.)

For mobiles, if I look on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS, it seems
that
"SMS messages are delivered to the operator's SMSC, but
not the subscriber's handset; the SMSC takes care of further handling
of
the message through the SS7 network."

It goes on to draw distinctions between
-   local termination model. Aggregators lack direct access into the
SS7
    protocol, which is the protocol where the SMS messages are
exchanged.
    SMS messages are delivered to the operator's SMSC, but not the
    subscriber's handset; the SMSC takes care of further handling of
the
    message through the SS7 network.
- international termination model. The advantage of this model is the
   ability to route data directly through SS7, which gives the
provider
   total control and visibility of the complete path during SMS
routing.

So on mobiles in UK the "message delivered" option means the message
is
delivered to the recipient operators via the local termination model?

Can anyone shed light or point me to a website that highlights which
mobile
phone companies operation "local termination centres" or
"international
termination model"

As far as I know, you just need to turn on the feature on your phone. Whether your phone has that option is another question.

At a company I do some work for we always get message delivered notification. We use it for timing reporting etc.

We have in the past told vodafone of cell problems that they have not detected!

--
'ooroo

stinga...(:)-)
Email: stinga@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      o
You need only two tools.        o /////
A hammer and duct tape. If it    /@   `\  /) ~
doesn't move and it should,     >  (O)  X<  ~  Fish!!
use the hammer. If it moves and  `\___/'  \) ~
shouldn't, use the tape.           \\\