[LUG] Dual Monitors )-:

Writing this more in frustrations thant looking for help as I'm wondering if what I'm trying to do it just not worth it...

Trying to add a 2nd video card and monitor to my system.

Mainboard is an Atom with Intel hardware - this is fine. Works well at 1280x1024.

I plugged in a 2nd graphics card - an old nVdia Rava128. This is PCI as the mobo only has one PCI slot. I know this card is good - I can get X to run on it in standalone mode when I disable the on-board video.

So - then spend several hours getting frustrated, watching Linux crash (!!! I mean really, Eek - it crashed! It never does that on me!)

Trying a million combinations of xorg.conf, setting the BIOS to use the PCI card as primary, compiling new kernels, etc. and I still haven't got what I'd call a satisfactory and stable combination. I get it to the point of dual-monitor, then but I enable Xinemara and it crashes again.

One issue is that the Linux console output sitches monitors during bootup. Quite frustrating. BIOS is set to the use on-board video, that's connected to the monitor on my desk, Linux boots, then after it's first page, switches video output to the 2nd monitor on the PCI card. Grr! Don't do that!

So if you hear any screams of anguish and thuds of head bashing coming from south of Dartmoor, just ignore it. It's only me!

Gordon