Re: [LUG] File Recovery

On 15/10/10 21:05, David Vanstone wrote:
Grant Sewell wrote:
On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 19:16:41 +0100
Edwin Rhodes wrote:

Hello a friend of mine has lost data on a usb stick, formatted for
use with windows, do you know of a FREE or GNU utility I can use to
recover the data? Please advise,
Thanks ed

Depending on the severity of the data loss, you could try any one of
the following:

testdisk - Scan and repair disk partitions
photorec - Recover lost pictures from digital camera
foremost - Recover files using their headers and footers
scalpel - very similar to foremost
autopsy - Web-page based graphical tool for data extraction
magicrescue - Scans a block device and extracts known file types by
looking at magic bytes

Grant.

Used photorec on a 320g usb hdd the other day, was amazing, recovered
all films mp3s, documents and loads of "deleted" files.

Dave

Yep, it's a great app. I remember a few years back a company I was working for spent about £100 on a recovery app for Windows (granted it worked well, and got everything back) but it still amazes me sometimes how this stuff is available for free. I managed to recover about 60GB of photos from a friend's external hard drive when he accidentally deleted the files. Okay it took all night to run through but it did the job (I left him to sort the pictures out though as there were thousands of them!).

Rob