Re: [LUG] no login with ubuntu 10.04

On 07/10/10 14:10, james kilty wrote:
On Thu, 2010-10-07 at 11:14 +0100, tom wrote:

My solution was to make sure there was a desktop (reinstall gdm) - make
a new user and log in there and if possible work with that.
I tried sudo apt-get install gdm and it said it was there.

I then tried sudo apt-get install grub and it did upgrade it.

No luck however on reboot - what next? There is no line beginning EE in
the log file Xorg.0.log.

James

If you're getting the GUI up (or at least a terminal window) then I don't think it's a problem with X.org, it sounds like it's starting X but not GDM.

You could try installing KDM, or maybe XDM and trying that, with any luck you should at least be able to get a login box. If that works try removing GDM and reinstalling it.

Really though if it was me and I was pushed for time I'd possibly just do a reinstall. You can do a reinstall while keeping any existing data on the machine. You should be able to boot off a Live CD and get to the data (assuming it's not encrypted, in fact I believe you can get to it even if it is encrypted, can't remember the exact steps though, I believe it's a file in the home directory which you have to mount).

You could maybe try putting in an Ubuntu 10.10 disc (10.10 RC has been released) and trying to boot from that and upgrade over the existing installation, or pop in a 10.04 disc. When it comes to partitioning, select the manual partitioning option, select the partitions (root, swap) but make sure you uncheck the option to format the partitions. I believe then the Ubuntu installer will delete everything other than the home directory (keeping the data intact). Probably a good idea back it up first just in case.

If you decide to do a complete reinstall from scratch, backing the data up first and then reformatting the partitions, I'd suggest maybe creating a separate /home partition, it makes it easier to reinstall if you have issues (basically you do the manual reinstall option telling the installer to mount the home partition as /home but not to format it).

Good luck.

Rob