Re: [LUG] Health and Safety

On 07/10/10 16:59, Paul Sutton wrote:

> On 07/10/10 14:33, Brad Rogers wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:37:46 +0100 (BST)
>> Gordon Henderson <gordon+dcglug@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> Hello Gordon,
>>
>>> Not really relevant here, but I'm sure we've all heard of something
>>> being stopped due to HES reasons... Well, the HSE have been publishing
>>> "myth
>>
>> More often than not, it's not the HSE, but the organisation's (school,
>> company, whatever) fear of being sued, that's to blame.  Health and
>> safety is merely waved around as the excuse.
>>

> It's just a pain, especially when the rules and reasons given seemt o
> defy common sense, reason or show ignorance of particular guidelines.

Especially given that "common sense" is an essential part of carrying
out a risk assesment in the first place. Something which completely goes
over the heads of those who follow a "box ticking" mentality. Which from
experience includes the likes of DCC who appear quite capable of
providing lots of largely irrelevent paperwork which has little in
common with the simple advice you can find on the HSE website.
Indeed the HSE's advice is to write your own in your own words.
(Possibly using those of similar organisations as a guide.) Any kind of
"standard form" simply does not conform to the basics of this. (If it
was up to me using such an approach would equate to "not doing a risk
assesment at all".)