Re: [LUG] 64 bit

On 18/09/10 00:17, Julian Hall wrote:

I was referring to a 32 bit OS (ie Windows XP) on a 64 bit CPU based
system, ie my AMD Athlon II X4 630[1]. Admittedly a lot of that is
probably that the 32 bit OS won't use the whole 8Gb memory while Windows
7 will. The biggest performace hike though will probably come from using
software configured to use all the cores.

Yep I found that with my old Phenom X4, generally it wasn't that quick (okay it was a definite improvement on my Pentium Dual Core E2160 but not that noticeable) but when I wanted to do some CPU hungry tasks (such as 7zip compression) it came into it's own, I could easily run a couple of compression jobs without any noticeable slowdown.

e.g. the Folding@Home client only uses one core unless you download and
configure the SMP client, which atm is only in beta stage. Carrera (3D
renderer) however uses all four cores and tanks the full capability of
the system - when used in Windows 7 that is.

I see, I haven't used F@H for a long time. I was tempted to install it on the PS3 but I figured it would probably give us an even bigger electricity bill!

Julian

[1] Which btw is a damn good chip, has similar performance to some
Phenom chips in reviews, and costs £90 from Amazon.

Yep, I don't doubt it. Eventually I'll probably invest in one, my laptop covers just about all my needs at the moment computing wise. I do have my old Athlon X2 3800+ sitting around not doing anything so I'm going to eventually re-build my desktop with that and maybe get an Atom board with Ion chipset to build into a media PC (as great as the PS3 is for playing media, sometimes there's stuff which works much better on a PC).

Rob