Re: [LUG] external hard disk recommendations

On 28/07/10 14:11, John Williams wrote:
On Wed, 2010-07-28 at 14:05 +0100, Anthony Williams wrote:
On 28/07/10 13:54, Paul Sutton wrote:
Anyone got any recommendations regarding usb external hard disks,  size
about 500 to 1 tb would work fine for me,  as a back up tool

I take it most of these devices should just work with Linux,  i see on
boxes it says designed for PC / MAC.

I've got quite a few Western Digital USB disks of varying sizes (160Gb,
320Gb and 1Tb), and they all work fine with linux. I've never had a
problem with them. The smaller ones are powered directly from the USB
(WD Passport), my 1Tb disk is powered off a separate mains adapter.

Thats certainly worth bearing in mind when you want a smaller 2.5"
external drive, some like my Western Digital are powered off a single
short USB lead. Others like a Toshiba have a split USB lead that needs
two USB connectors to get enough power.

My Iomega 320GB 2.5" drive has a cable like this. I gather it isn't required in some cases, depends if the USB port can provide enough power. Guess it could also depend on the drive in the case too.

Rob