Re: [LUG] Fwd: UK 'misled' on broadband speeds

On 27/07/10 01:02, Julian Hall wrote:

>  'Britons are not getting the broadband services they are being sold,
> suggests a government report.  Ofcom's analysis of broadband speeds in
> the UK shows that, for some services, 97% of consumers do not get the
> advertised speed.'

Probably because the only way it would even be possible to get this
speed would be to connect the modem and DSLAM with a cat5 cable of
less than 1 metre :)

> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10760069
>
> The phrase 'tell me something I don't know' springs to mind.  The real
> question is how many of these identical reports are we going to see
> before they actually DO something about this?  In any other industry,
> e.g. gas/electric suppliers the company(ies) would have been fined for
> misselling their products months, if not years ago.

If these companies sold the same way as broadband gas and water
would be "up to X litres/second" and electricity would be
"up to X watts".