[LUG] Fwd: Re: [ubuntu-uk] 101010 = 42 which is a good excuse for a party anyone up for it ?

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-uk] 101010 = 42 which is a good excuse for a party
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 10:31:49 +0100
From: John Stevenson <john@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: UK Ubuntu Talk <ubuntu-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On 22 July 2010 10:50, Alan Bell <alan.bell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> The next version of Ubuntu will be the Maverick Meercat, version 10.10
> and it will be released on Sunday October the 10th, or 10/10/10.
> This has a few interesting implications, firstly the final code will
> actually be available on Friday 8th or thereabouts so as not to make the
> Canonical release team work over the weekend, this means we should in
> theory have access to the final .isos to use on the release day.
> Canonical will no doubt organise a London party in a bar somewhere which
> is great, but we can do different things, such as install fests,
> geeknics, jams and whatever other things we can come up with. It would
> be fantastic to find some kind of venue in every major city to do a
> release day install party, so not just a night in a pub, but more of a
> bring-a-box and install Ubuntu on it whilst chatting and eating cocktail
> sausages type thing. Of course it is up to you what you do, maybe little
> samosas or perhaps pizza slices could be used instead of sausages. So
> the things on your task list are:
>
> Find a venue, perhaps a school or university, community hall or similar.
> Somewhere that people can get to, which probably means in a city or
> largeish town.
> Make sure you have plenty of power sockets
> Arrange sausages or other tasty snacks
> Advertise it here and elsewhere, perhaps posters in libraries and
> schools in the area
>
> More ideas on release related activities are welcome and if you have
> half a plan but can't quite get it all together then let everyone know,
> perhaps someone else can help.
>
> I think it is probably time for a biscuit about now.
>
> Alan.
>
> Hello Alan,
This sounds a great idea.  I ran an install fest in a pub for the lucid
release and got a good crowd, however would like to get more people coming
next time.  Some of my colleagues and I are building up connections with
some of the society groups at a London University so an install fest may  be
a good candidate to organise with them.  Its early days, but I'll let you
know if we can get things arranged in time.

Thank you
--
John Stevenson
Lean Agile Consultant / Coach