Re: [LUG] debian code names

On 16/07/10 22:01, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jul 2010 15:41:37 +0100
> Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>> from oldstable - this has already been done for Squeeze, so there are
>>> now no packages on the mirrors for Etch.)
>
> i.e. for the routine mirrors like ftp.uk.debian.org - the archive
> mirrors will still hold packages.
>
> The reason the packages are dropped from routine mirrors is because the
> packages on archive.d.o are never touched again.
>
> There's also backports, for those who are using current stable and
> older versions of stable.
>
>> Myself and Neil stone (I think) were looking at if it would be possible
>> to install woody or something around woody, then do an update thing to
>> the next release up to the current stable release.,  just as a bit of fun.
>>
>> I guess if there are no repositories for etch then this may not be possible.
>
> archive.debian.org appears to hold them.
>
> Your problem is likely to be the installer. If you have a copy of the
> Debian installer for Woody (and it still works on the proposed
> hardware) then it could work. Without that, it isn't a true test
> because the current installer will give you something approaching Lenny
> or Squeeze and downgrading packages is always problematic.
>
> However, what is the point of such a process? Just to while away the
> long summer evenings?

Not sure, to see if its actually possible i guess.,  It was just an idea,

Paul

--
Next Paignton meeting - Saturday 7th August 2010 - 3pm Lighthouse, Paignton,
Next Holsworthy Meeting -  Saturday July 17th @ The White Hart, Holsworthy.

EVENTS @ THE LIGHTHOUSE, 26 Esplanade Road, Paignton
Friday 16th July Rockabilly night, from 6:30
Saturday 17 & Sunday 18th July Buskathon from 12:30 to 7
Saturday 18th Evening - Student Disco - 7 - 12 (ages 14+)
Monday 19th Don Broko (TBC) 8 - 12pm
Thursday 22nd Tea Party 2pm - 5pm
Saturday 31st Salsa Night 8pm - 12:30
please e-mail devonmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx for more details.

SOFTWARE FREEDOM DAY 2010
SATURDAY 18th SEPTEMBER 2010  - LIGHTHOUSE, PAIGNTON