[LUG] What's the equivalent of Audacity?

A bit of an odd question, I know, but I've been compiling a list of
commonly used software that Schools might already be using and a list
of their Free Software equivalents.  I hadn't thought about Audacity
until today when one of my students said that's what they were using in
their audio module.  It got me thinking... I don't even know what the
non-Free Software equivalent(s) of Audacity are!

So, anyone got any good suggestions?

It has to be something that is *like* Audacity in some respect, and
something that costs money too.  Windows programs are preferred.

Also, whilst we're at it: any non-Free Software alternatives to Ardour
and LMMS?

Grant.