Re: [LUG] Fast link over a short distance

On 23/06/10 07:56, Rob Beard wrote:

If you were to lay fibre you should be be able to get into the Gigabit speeds (I'd have thought). Not sure how much it costs, I'm going to be looking into it later for a server room move which may well involve putting some fibre in across a building due to the length limits of CAT5.

Rob

I'd be interested to find that out -given then hardware costs of 2.4Gb over 10km were less that $100 for 10km of FO and a driver/receiver at each end in 1990. There is also a thing called a mole (or was) which can sometimes be used to drag cable under roads - its a sort of torpedo that thumps itself forward through dirt (and gas mains etc) but saves digging the road up - unless you go through the gas mains etc so if they've got good records for your road you might be OK
Tom te tom te tom