Re: [LUG] PHP, Perl, server securing, etc.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM, Grant Sewell wrote:
> I won't post the contents as this is a public and archived list.
> Anyone wants the RECed C code to have a look through, let me know and I
> can email you off-list.

I'm not a C programmer either, but I just tried to download the file
using XP to see if they had blocked connections from Windows browsers.
 They haven't, but my AV kindly blocked the download.

Uploading it to virustotal.com will give you an idea about whether
many AVs detect the file and using the names given by some AVs might
give you some more information about what the file tries to do.

I think I read somewhere the other day that Linux servers are a lot
more likely to be targeted by malware than those running other OS's.
Which makes sense really, given that they are more prevalent.

Just looked at the Apache logs for a web server here and noticed one
IP address trying to read the contents of phpinfo() in several ways,
presumably with the goal of finding an exploitable weakness in the
server's configuration.

Martijn.