Re: [LUG] software freedom day 2010

On 18/06/10 22:00, Paul Sutton wrote:
On 17/06/10 18:55, Rob Beard wrote:
On 17/06/10 13:39, Roland Tarver wrote:
On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Paul Sutton<zleap@xxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
Is anyone up for doing something for software freedom day in 2010,  date
below

Saturday 18th September

yes.

I am asking now as so that people can book that date ahead and try and
make sure it is kept free.

I think that will be at the end of the induction week for the 3rd (and
final) uni year. So I should be able to come since there will not be
much work on at that point :-)  (plus its a Saturday)

I thought students spent their first couple of weeks drinking beer and
not doing much else? :-)

Venue, I was thinking the lighthouse in Paignton, as I can't think of
anywhere else.

Would anyone be willing to sponsor such an event or help contact people
who may wish to sponsor it.  I will check to see if people (sponsors)
can set up tables and sell stuff.

We may also need

demos
talks

etc

I can contribute somehow.  :-)

Perhaps a talk/demo (of something very simple - lol). Something that
would appeal to a wide audience..."Experiences Of A New User",
"Getting Started"? "WHY? open source" (that's an important question to
answer IMHO) hmmm<thinking...>

I think that's a good idea, real world experiences from someone new to
Linux.

In terms of contacting potential sponsors - do you have any particular
groups in mind? Or just any one we can get interested?

First of all I was thinking maybe Open Source companies, but there's no
reason we can't approach some known Open Source friendly companies (I'd
say Refresh Cartridges as the guy who owns it writes a computing article
for the Herald Express and he's promoted Open Source software before).
Maybe we could try to sign them up as an official event partner.

What stuff is sold at such an event?

I have just e-mailed aly to ask if this is possible,  i remember at the
first lug meet there were 3 rooms one was for talks, another for
installs and the 3rd was for coffee, etc,  however there was a table set
p with someone selling stuff as he owned a shop,  I think it was more of
a sponsor thing.

First LUG meet?  You mean when the LUG was first formed?

I don't remember us ever selling anything at SFD events (unless I've missed one).

I need to check and make sure that is possible first as in someone can
have a table and sell stuff.

Does anyone need to be selling anything?

As the lighthouse is a young persons venue i would like to see if some
of the young people can take a lead in some of the areas, such as talks,
  Or demo free software relating to music and media.

Well it's going to help if they know the software. We can't say to them, right you're young you can show us all Ardour if they don't know how the software works.

I could possibly get someone I know who does audio production as part of his job (using proper professional tools) to come along and demonstrate Ardour (would mean he'd have to have a play with it first), or maybe talk to Rick at the Music Mill as they do professional audio training (with South Devon College) and they might be able to get one of the students to try it out and demo it.

I've still got to check if the Lighthouse would be considered competition for the Music Mill, I personally don't see it, I think they have different goals, and in fact would probably work quite well together (getting bands who record stuff at the Music Mill to perform at the Lighthouse, and get bands who perform at the Lighthouse to record stuff at the Music Mill).

Rob