Re: [LUG] Fast link over a short distance

On Friday 18 Jun 2010 19:06:40 Gordon Henderson wrote:

> Don't belive the hype about link speeds and Wi-Fi... 802.11b touts an
> 11Mb/sec speed - and it might just do that - at the signal level. At the
> user level you're lucky to see 5Mb/sec. Same for 'g' - 54Mb/sec at the
> signal level and 22Mb/sec at the user end.

Indeed - there are so many variables that the advertised speeds are mostly
meaningless, but 802.11n is still the fastest generally-available wifi standard
which is why I suggested it.

I would imagine that on a point-to-point link over a short distance, with
directional aerials and no encryption the speed should be good enough for most
purposes. If you need serious bandwidth then you have to buy a serious
solution :-)

Of course when you start reaching speeds >20Mbit/s router processing power can
become an issue, so cheap routers will limit throughput even if they support
the 802.11n standard (just ask anyone fortunate enough to have a properly fast
Internet connection how important choice of router is!).

Regards,
David.

--
David Johnson