Re: [LUG] Personal finance

On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 17:56:43 +0100
Simon Robert wrote:

> On 08/06/10 12:49, Grant Sewell wrote:
> > On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 12:18:56 +0100
> > Simon Robert wrote:

> >> Don't know if this would would work, but as mint is debian/buntu
> >> based you could add the ubuntu repositories that have gnucash and
> >> try installing from that.
> >>
> >> Also there is another finance package, which I know nothing about,
> >> called ifreebudget. This has a .deb package available form its
> >> website, http://www.ifreebudget.com/. Might be worth a look?
> >>
> >> Simon
> >>
> > Normal warning about installing random .deb files from websites...
> > almost as bad as installing random setup.exe files on a Windows box!
> >
> > I'm using kmymoney (at the moment).
> >
> > Grant.
> >

> has anyone ever heard about, or have experience, of bad results of
> downloading a .deb package from sourceforge or a project page?
> (except depencies not being met) In what way would downloading
> ifreebudget from getdeb be "random"?

A nicely packaged up .deb/rpm file may not necessarily follow the rules
of where things *ought* to be installed, resulting in the potential for
it to overwrite files (libraries, perhaps?) that are already present.

Also note that to install the package would generally require a higher
level of access - most likely root access - and certainly .deb files
actually contain scripts (pre-install, post-install, etc) that are run
during the installation and removal process.  If the file in question
has not come from a reputable source - ie you've just downloaded it
from the 'vendors' website - who is to say that said scripts aren't
designed to be harmful (not necessarily maliciously, though... harm can
be done just as well through ignorance).

Grant.