Re: [LUG] Disable graphical boot on Xubuntu 10.04

James Fidell wrote:
> A friend has installed Xubuntu 10.04 on a low-power server and
> wants to disable the graphical boot.
>
> I've mostly managed to sort that be editing /etc/default/grub, but
> irritatingly it still seems to leave the console on VC7 when booting
> finishes whereas he'd like it to be on VC1 where he'll get a text login
> prompt.

I think the switch to tty7 is caused by starting Xorg. The Xorg process
attaches to the first unused tty by default (hence tty7 in Debian/Ubuntu
and a few other distros (I think Redhat changed the arrangement for
their distros).

For servers I just don't install a graphical environment, i.e. remove
Xorg, and it should leave you on tty1 at the end of boot. Or if you want
it just disable the window manager in start-up so you start it manually.

There is probably an option for display managers not to switch tty, but
I couldn't see it documented and if it is that low powered you probably
want the RAM free anyway.