Re: [LUG] Laptop as a desktop replacement

On 22 April 2010 16:21, NW <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Rob Beard wrote:
>> On 22/04/10 15:57, NW wrote:
>>
>>> I have had a look but ...
>>>
>>> I am looking for a desktop replacement. That being so I feel that I
>>> would need a large screen, at least 17". That would normally include a
>>> separate keypad, something I use regularly on my dekstop computer.
>>> Perhaps I should add that, at my age, I need all the visual help I can
>>> get. And I should have included all that in my original post. Sorry,
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Neil
>>>

>> Ahh, in that case I can't really help much.  Doing a quick search of
>> Dell's site (under Home) it lists a Dell Studio 17 laptop from £579.
>>
>> It's also worth bearing in mind, 17" laptops are VERY heavy.
>>
> Yes, I realise that. Since my idea is to replace the desktop computer
> any laptop I buy will be treated like one. That is, it will normally be
> sat on a desk or table and left there more or less permanently. So
> weight is not really relevant.
In that case, I know Dell used to do 20" laptops. I'm not sure if they
still do. I did want one but I decided to be cheap and get a desktop
and netbook instead.

Can't remember if you've said what you tend to do on your computer,
but for me anyway desktop replacement means gaming laptop.  Last time
I looked around, Alienware and Novatech had 17" laptops with specs I
liked.  Unfortunately I didn't like the prices, hence my decision to
go desktop and netbook.