[LUG] FW: Digital Economy Bill

A reply...

Neil Stone

-----Original Message-----
From: BREED, Colin <BREEDC@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 24 March 2010 15:14
To: BREED, Colin <BREEDC@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Digital Economy Bill

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the Digital Economy Bill and as I have received
a large number of complaints about this Bill I hope you will forgive me for writing
to you all at the same time.  I think I should first say that the Bill is
ridiculously wide ranging, covering issues such as a new remit for Channel 4, the
classification of computer games, plans for switchover to digital radio and the
future of regional news on ITV as well as the issue of illegal downloading.

The Liberal Democrats support the creative industries and believe that many aspects
of this Bill are vitally important to the continuing success of our radio,
television and content industries.  We are also concerned about the financial
implications of illegal downloading of copyright material and recognise the
importance of protecting intellectual property.  Some action, of course, is needed
on these issues, however, we have opposed - and helped defeat - government proposals
(contained in Clause 17 of the original Digital Economy Bill) to give itself almost
unfettered powers to act against copyright infringement.

Further, as a result of debates instigated and amendments passed by the Liberal
Democrats in the Lords, the government's original proposals relating to illegal
peer-to-peer file-sharing have been significantly improved.

As a result, no action to introduce "technical measures" (whether temporary account
suspension, bandwidth throttling or whatever) can be introduced until;

1. soft measures (letter writing) have been used
2. an evaluation of their effectiveness has been undertaken
3. an evaluation of the need for, and likely effectiveness of, technical measures
has been undertaken
4. further consultation has taken place
5. proposed legislation is brought before parliament for decision, and
6. there is an explicit assumption of innocence until proved guilty

The Liberal Democrats remain concerned by some aspects of the system for tackling
peer-to-peer file-sharing being introduced in the Bill and will take further action
in the Commons to scrutinise and improve the legislation. In particular, we are
concerned that there will not be enough time for in-depth consultation on the
initial code that Ofcom will draw up. We also feel that there is currently
inadequate protection in the Bill for schools, libraries, universities and other
businesses offering internet access to the public.

We are also unconvinced of the merits of the various technical measures that have
been proposed, including bandwidth shaping and temporary account suspension. For
this reason we have amended the Bill to ensure that any such measures cannot be
introduced without proper consultation and not until evidence has been produced to
prove that this is the best available option. We are further seeking to ensure that
any measures brought before parliament will be subject to maximum scrutiny in both
Houses and that it will be possible for changes to be made to them before a final
decision is made.

We are urging the creative music, film and video games industries to work more
vigorously to develop new business models which will make it easier and more
affordable for people to legally access their products. We hope that this combined
with "soft measures" and an effective education campaign will mean that further
action will not be required.

Liberal Democrats have agreed at their Spring Conference to establish a working
party to address these issues. With at least a year before there will be any attempt
to introduce "technical measures", this will provide an opportunity for the party to
consider the outcome of research into the effectiveness of the early stages of the
implementation of the legislation in the digital economy Bill.

The Bill has now completed all stages in the Lords but cannot proceed unless it has,
as a minimum, been debated at a "Second Reading" in the Commons. We believe that
many of the measures in the Bill that do not relate to illegal file sharing are
important and must be allowed to go into law. However, in respect of those that
relate to illegal file sharing we will not support them in the Commons if we are not
satisfied that the procedures in place are fair and allow for full consultation and
scrutiny before their introduction in the future.

I hope this reply is helpful and if you would like me to take any individual point
further please do not hesitate to write back to me and I will do all I can in the
remaining few days of this Parliament.

Kind Regards,

Colin Breed

UK Parliament Disclaimer:
This e-mail is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in
error, please notify the sender and delete it from your system. Any unauthorised
use, disclosure, or copying is not permitted. This e-mail has been checked for
viruses, but no liability is accepted for any damage caused by any virus transmitted
by this e-m