Re: [LUG] OT: Windows 7 is FREE (according to Dell)

Rob Beard wrote:
I've heard it will run on a single core machine with 1GB Ram, not sure how successfully, although saying that some netbooks are coming with Windows 7 these days.

I'd probably say a Pentium 4 around 3Ghz with 2GB Ram to run it comfortably, or maybe a slower dual core CPU again with probably around 2GB ish.

Can't say I've tried it on a low spec machine, the wife's PC is a Pentium Dual Core running at 2.9Ghz with 4GB Ram (although only 3.25GB usable due to her running the 32-Bit version) and it runs fairly well, much better than Vista anyway.

Rob

I tried the RC1 edition on a 1.3Ghz machine (single core) with 1Gb RAM. It ran pretty well although it has to be said there was very little else installed in the box to bog it down. Also the machine had a dedicated graphics card - 512Mb Geforce 7900 I think. I'm pretty sure the same spec but with shared graphics would complain like hell.

Julian