Re: [LUG] ubuntu 9.04 + gnome screen error

Rob Beard wrote:

>> Investigating this further its got nothing to do with compiz, it happens
>> if you run xkill and click on the desktop (e.g by accident) you then
>> lose nautilusk,which is what xkill is meant to do,  it just that in
>> doing so you end up witrh the xdisplay and no desktop (icons , wall
>> paper etc) and clearly users are expected to know what to do.
>>
> You mean if you accidentally open a terminal (Clicking Applications,
> Accessories, Terminal) and then accidentlly hitting x, k, i, l, l and
> enter in the right order, and then clicking on the desktop (avoiding the
> open Terminal and maybe any other applications you may have open?)
>
> Yeah I can see how that can be by accident :-D
>
> Rob

how about simply missing the application you want to kill, and clicking
the X on the desktop.   my point is should this happen,  then we know a
possible solution / cause, i have actually had cases where this has
happened without the above so the solution could be the same.

we are all looking at this from our own point of view as in experienced
user. if you were advising over the phone and had to suggest using xkill
and clicking on the crashed application and the person at the other end
was not 100 percent steady with a mouse, it could happen,  in which case
you could suggest the following solution.

There are lots of people out there, that give advice on fixing problems
some of this is either based on their own usage, or what they read,  so
they can rattle off using xkill without perhaps actually understanding
what they are doing,but the new user they are helping will follow this
advice.

in situations like this a new user gets a new useful tool for closing
applications,  but lacks the appreciation of the power behind it,  Or
some advice is given, the wrong part of the screen is clicked and they
end up with the problem that started this all off,  what we now have is
a solution.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton