Re: [LUG] Folding@home 'errors'

On Wed, 17 Mar 2010, tom wrote:

And I'm not making myself clear.
Its a one core steam driven machine. With F@h running the machine always uses 100% cpu. So cpuburn/prime etc dont work the machine any harder.

They will make the machine run in different ways though - and that was the issue I had to deal with many years back - one program would pass, another would fail - all due to subtle but very hard to track-down hardware faults.

Only f@h seems to go wrong:
So 1) I get a lot of duff fah runs..
or 2) there is a problem that doesnt seem to affect any other program so either the programs, or the kernel fix the problem and move on.

If its 2 then either f@h has a small problem (not likely) or I should be able to get the kernel to log the problem for me

The kernel can only log what it sees. If f@h detects an error in (say) floating point calculations, then the kernel isn't going to know about it, so what you really need to do is to get f@h to provide more diagnostics.

Or just stop running f@h on that PC.

How do I do this sensibly - I dont want to know every step it takes just the bit where it does something to 'correct' an error - if indeed it has?

Maybe it can't correct the error - which is why it stops...

Gordon