[LUG] Another Ubuntu convert (hopefully)

Hi folks,

Well it looks like my mum and step-dad have FINALLY decided to get a laptop and broadband. It was a bit unexpected (I knew they were going to get a computer in a couple of years when they retired but not so soon!).

As I'm going to be doing their support (they live in Teignmouth) I decided that it might be a good idea for them to get Ubuntu. It'll probably be 9.10 later replaced by 10.04 (since they're getting the laptop this week). I figured it would do everything they want, web browsing, e-mail and photos with a bit of Skype once in a while.

Not only will they get a nice fast running system, I'll also have piece of mind that I won't have to connect in to fix spyware, viruses or defrag the system. Of course there is the risk of Phishing links which I'll have to explain to them, but I'm hoping it'll be more secure by default by default and quicker than Vista (the laptop I'm probably going to get them is at a knocked down price because it's got Vista on it).

I'll post how I get on, I'm pretty confident that with a couple of hours going through things with them (sending e-mails, opening the browser and using the internet, importing digital photos) that they'll get on well with it all, and if all else fails, well my daughters can show them how to use it (as they already use Ubuntu at home).

Rob