Re: [LUG] "Stuff Just Works In Windows" ?

Rhia Knowles wrote:
I thought you might enjoy this tale of two operating systems.
<snip>

Switch to Windows and ohh boy, have we got problems.
<snip>
I still cant get win7 printing to that printer via wifi...
But as you say you have Windows 7 RC, it isn't going to work much longer without regular shutdowns anyway, if I was you I'd be looking at reinstalling something else.

To be fair too, I've found Windows 7 to be a whole lot better than Vista. A customer of mine has just bought two PCs running Windows 7 Home Premium and they're printing to a printer hanging off their server which is running Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS with Cups. It 'just works' and works pretty well. It's an Epson printer.

Personally I've found the drivers for HP Inkjet printers to be all but useless (I recently had to install a HP Business Inkjet MFP printer on Windows XP, it wouldn't install at first, and when it did install the Scanner didn't work). The driver installer is god awful but due to the way the drivers were written you had to download an 85MB (or so) driver. IIRC the actual printer driver was in this big ZIP file and about 2MB!

I can't fathom why HP Inkjet drivers are so poor when the laser drivers are spot on. I've also found the opposite with Epsons, the Inkjet drivers are spot on where the laser drivers are poor.

Still it goes to show, a lot of the time it'll work fine in Linux (I'd put that down to the great work that the CUPS & Guttenprint projects do). It's not always like this though (Epson lasers on CUPS for instance).

Rob