Re: [LUG] Mandriva One wifi

Terry Hill wrote:
>>> I've been using xp for years now, and apart from it's increasing
>>> flakiness and susceptibility to viruses, and of course that it's
>>> distributed by a megalomaniac corporate entity with the moral fibre of
>>> a cuckoo, I know how to make it work.  Generally by plugging things in
>>> and turning it on, occasionally sticking a driver disk into a drive.
>>>
>> Do you *really* know how to make it work?  I don't know your background
>> so I cannot comment on you personally, but I do know that Windows is
>> actually a helluva lot more complex than many people give it credit for
>> (frequently unnecessarily complex, but complex none the less) and there
>> are a helluva lot of people who think they know how to make it work.
>>

> I grew up on 8 bit machine code, cut my industry teeth on AS400's and
> have about 23 years in IT altogether now.  I'm still no expert on the
> inner mechanisms of windows systems having spent a lot of my time in
> front end design for media, but I'm not often beaten when people say
> "my windows is insane".  A rootkit beat me hands down a few years back
> though, and even examining hive data, editing the registry (via
> back|track on a usb key) and deleting the virus manually didn't get
> rid of it.  It was back within a minute of booting.
>

>>> Case in point: I just gave Fedora a shot.  Live CD works fine,
>>> installed and the mouse doesn't work.  Rebooted to the live CD, mouse
>>> works fine, went back to install, now it doesn't.  Doesn't exactly
>>> instill confidence does it?  Still things get better all the time and
>>> Linux goes from strength to strength.  Perhaps it's the little touches
>>> like not having to arse around to get a bog standard usb mouse working
>>> that will make the difference rather than the next killer filesystem
>>> though.
>>>
>> The question is: do you lay the blame for this at Linux's feet, at
>> Fedora/RedHat's feet or at the manufacturer of the hardware.  I can't
>> tell you how much it cheeses me off to hear people claiming that
>> Windows supports more hardware because 'it just works' when frequently
>> it doesn't bloody work unless you install the drivers that the
>> manufacturer supplied.
>>

> You're quite right, manufacturers are the key to success in Linux.
> Unfortunately they don't seem that interested in providing drivers for
> 'nix systems.  We need more users to convince them it's a worthwhile
> investment, and it's the politics of open source perhaps that will
> attract more.
>

>>  Fair enough, a 'standard' USB mouse should most
>> likely not cause problems for most recent systems.
>>

> Indeed.
>

>> Do not be under the misguided impression that it is just Linux that
>> suffers from "it just stopped working" problems, and it is not always
>> evident what has caused the issue.  Case point - at a previous
>> employment, on of my bosses had a MacBook Air.  Now this, he claimed,
>> should work with any and all wireless network because "it was designed
> [...]
if you cut all the flippant comments out of lists like these, it would
be a lot less fun to follow them, so less people would, making them less
useful. You have put a great deal of work in to this and i hope you get
it all sorted soon, as you say the more linux users there are the better
for all of us. There seems to be a growing tension between ubuntu for
the computer illiterate and the hard core linux hands. like a western,
where when the railroad  arrives all the pioneers move on. We want the
drivers etc which will only come from a mass takeup, but resent our
place on the edge becomming more mainstream maybe.