Re: [LUG] OT: Smartphone recommendations?

On 12/02/10 20:46, Rob Beard wrote:
Julian Hall wrote:
I know this is not *really* anything to do with Linux, but as you're
all pretty experienced with technology I thought it the best placed to
canvass opinions.
Um... Nokia N900? (runs Linux)

I'd suggest that one as Nokia are now giving away the Ovi maps software
for free, presumably to compete against the likes of Google, Garmin and
Tomtom. Can't say how good it is though as my Nokia e63 doesn't have GPS
so Nokia won't let me download the software (despite the fact I can add
GPS with a Bluetooth module, in fact I'll probably do that rather than
buying a dedicated Satnav).

Other than that, lots of people seem to love the iPhone, not convinced
myself, I see it more as a fashion accessory myself (I've played with a
friend's iPhone and it's okay but I wouldn't pay the sort of money they
want for one).

I'm thinking my next phone probably won't be running Symbian, my phone
has some annoying bugs (not sure if it needs a firmware update, I can't
do it anyway as Nokia didn't supply the Micro USB cable!). I like the
look of the Nokia N900, not sure if I can afford it though when my
contract is up for renewal.

I took the plunge and bought an N900 last week. IT IS SUPERB. Still waiting for them to release voice navigation though.

It comes with a terminal, and the rootsh package (for some reason you need this to 'sudo gainroot', which is the only way that sudo works) is in the default repo. It uses apt-get as it's package manager. It's still a bit pricey and hard to get at the moment, but it's worth it.

But yes, avoid Symbian phones at all costs. Symbian itself is fully open source now, but all the phones are still closed, the networks are still allowed to brand them, and the device manufacturers are still hopelessly slow at releasing updates and there are a thousand different versions for each device.