Re: [LUG] ubuntu mini cd's

Grant Sewell wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Feb 2010 08:26:29 +0000
> tom wrote:
>
>> Rob Beard wrote:

>>> It's probably worth bearing in mind that you also need an internet
>>> connection or a copy of the repositories for this too :-)
>>>
>>> Still it's handy for those occasions when you don't want to burn a
>>> 700MB ISO (in fact I used the Hardy version last night).
>>>
>>> Rob
>>>

>> A word of warning. More or less the day after a release comes out
>> there will be updates - sometimes lots of them - the kernels just
>> been updated and the new headers released so a lot of apps will be
>> updated so you will still have a lot of updates to download from a
>> 'brand new cd'.
>>
>> CD install method:
>> install CD,
>> log in to new system,
>> update down line.  On one machine fine - when introducing newbies
>> they will be impressed that it can take a couple of hours from
>> installing the CD to getting to an up to date machine NOT.
>> For an 'install day' this would be a nightmare.
>
> I thought the whole idea of the "mini CD" installers was that you'd
> essentially the CD would hold only the bare minimum and the rest would
> be installed from t'Internet... in which case, it wouldn't have to
> install an old version of X/Gnome and then upgrade as they'd be
> installing the newer version directly.
>
> Or am I missing your point?
>
> Grant.

Well business card CD-R are wallet size which unlike normal cd / dvd
media can be carried around in my wallet,

Ok i could use flash drives but these still need putting somewhere safe,
 so i think as a carry round solution,  its useful.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details