Re: [LUG] Bah! Disks! Bah!

James Fidell wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
>
>> The main power saving focus is on laptops, and hard disk drives aren't
>> generally a big part of laptop power consumption to start with
>
> OTOH I believe battery life is noticeably better with the solid-state
> disks on an Aspire One than with a normal hard drive.

It may be, but the Aspire one SSD is 16GB versus 80+GB for the HDD, if
you bump up the SSD power by a factor of 5 it looks a lot more
comparable. That said the idle power consumption will become key over
time and Flash should win that, especially when folks stop using
operating systems that like to wake up the disk drives every few seconds
just for the hell of it.