Re: [LUG] Open source? What's that?

Quoting Neil Winchurst <barnaby@xxxxxxxxxx>:

May we now get on with what
is important to me, namely getting more people using Linux etc?

Okay, wouldn't it be worth creating a new thread related to this?

Maybe call it "Getting more people using FLOSS?" (that would cover Linux, Free Software and Open Source, not just on Linux, but also on Windows/Mac etc.

And, referring to other emails in this thread, it seems that others also
find that there is an awful lack of knowledge about open source
generally, which is something we need to address.

Okay, well does anyone have any suggestions?

We already have LUG meetings in Paignton thanks to Paul's work arranging and publicising it, we've had an article printed in the local paper about the OpenDisc and had a few people pick up some copies, we've just about installed an LTSP installation running Ubuntu in the Exwick Community Centre in Exeter, we're working on installing an LTSP installation in Paignton, we've done stuff for Software Freedom Day, and had stands at both the Preston Community Partnership picnic and the Exeter Hospital Radio Fun Day, a couple of years back we held an install day in Newton Abbot which was mildly successful, and I believe there was two demonstration days down in Penzance a couple of years ago. Oh and I'm also in the progress of trying to get my kids school to sell copies of the Open Disc, and I'm hopefully going to get a mention of Ubuntu in the local newspaper after providing a PC to a local community project in Torquay.

I also recommend OpenOffice and Firefox at least for Windows users and also anyone who has young kids, I also recommend things like Tuxpaint.

I'm open to suggestions on what else I can do for the cause as an individual, or what as a group we can do. At the moment it seems there are a few of us who are fairly active in the Torbay area, but I don't remember seeing anything recently about anything else in other areas of Devon or Cornwall (although saying that, I was cc'd into an e-mail where Simon was asking one of the guys at I believe Exmouth Community College about having a LUG meeting there).

Rob