Re: [LUG] Exeter Uni hit by Vista virus

Rob Beard wrote:
> Quoting tom <tompotts@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>
>> Rob Beard wrote:
>
>>> At a previous company I used  to work for they would generally delay
>>> updates for testing for  about a fortnight to test against all the
>>> different systems, unless  that is it was an ultra urgent update.
>> Last company where I worked at doing some form of MS admin we looked
>> at that:
>> To test you need as many servers for the test as you have live so that
>> costs you twice as much in licenses!!!
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> To be fair, the company I worked at was a radio group.  It would have
> probably worked out cheaper to have spare test machines and servers
> kicking around than to risk it screwing up and potentially loosing the
> company revenue on sales and also possibly exposing them to multiple
> fines from Ofcom due to things like audio logging not working.
>
> Even when they did rollouts, it was still on a limited basis to start
> with luckily as with 3 of us covering 6 sites across South Devon, a big
> screwup would have been disastrous.
>
> It may be different with other organisations, maybe some organisations
> can afford to have down time, or do things differently.  In the case of
> one of my current customers, they have a couple of spare PCs, and in
> total they have only about 8 PCs, so it's no major problem to just do
> one PC at a time, and if a PC fails they have a spare to use.
>
> Rob

I guess in some ways the same applies to upgrades on Linux, I had 8.10
and eventually upgraded to 9.04,  I am always worried that something
will go wrong, either software, power surge, or other issues during the
upgrade that will cause the upgrade to fail to a point where the system
won't boot or worse won't turn on at all.

I think applying updates seems to be a skill set in it's self,  and
choosing not to do something can make a big difference.

I did an upgrade on my 2nd system 8.10 to 9.04 to check it went ok,  but
that is fine but it differes from system to system,   I alwys wait a
while anyway to make sure there are no teething issues,  like many
people who jump on the upgrade wagon as soon as a new release is out.

I will probably not upgrade to 10.04, using software,  but will probably
do a clean install.

It needs a clean install every so often, so the next LTS relase seems
logical.

Paul

- --
Paul Sutton
www.zleap.net

Ubuntu 9.10 is out : Visit www.ubuntu.com for details
DCGLUG MEETINGS - Details on www.dcglug.org.uk/drupal6,  - please click
on Group meetings link on right hand side
Aged 11 - 19 then dfey may be for you,  please goto http://www.dfey.org
for more details