Re: [LUG] games and LTSP

Paul Sutton wrote:

Hi

As you know several of us in torbay are helping with the light house
music hub ubuntu based internet cafe

the clients are of reasonable spec for this p4 2000 with varying ram,
(clients),

the server is going to be of decent spec for the job,  (4 gb ram  I
think) for about 6 - 8 clients,  Maybe rob can comment further on server
spec.

Probably something like a Xeon or Opteron Quad core CPU around the 2.4GHz mark with 4GB Ram. Depends on what they want to spend and what offers are available at the time I guess. The new Xeon based on the Core i7 looks interesting, Quad core with Hyperthreading. But saying that I gather AMD are releasing a new 6 core Opteron sooner or later. Ahh the choices :-D

It'll no doubt be the cheapest Quad Core server Dell do though.
Anyway if We want to run games over the LTSP network,  how would games
such as open arena or alien arena work over LTSP,  how do we go about
setting up X over this if there are different cards in each client (i
don't think there is though)

Short answer - Not very well.

Long answer -

I gather it is possible with enough memory to run local applications on the individual LTSP clients. The problem is, to run things like OpenArena it's probably going to need a reasonable spec machine with dedicated 3D graphics card to start with (I'm not certain but I think that possibly one or two of the machines do have some sort of graphics card with 3D acceleration, if they're any good though is a different thing.

I wouldn't even try running games over LTSP using the server, it just wouldn't work, it struggled as it was to play Flash content at any reasonable speed. Basically anything running on the LTSP server sends its display and sound over the network to the client, so for web browsing, e-mail and office tasks, the screen isn't going to be updated that much so it's probably not going to be sending much over the network, but when it comes to games, that is a whole lot of updates to be sent. Even with compression, it would have to compress the display on the server (again using some of the CPU) and then decompress it and display it on the client, it might just not cope.

Is it even possible to run games like this over LTSP?
I would say no, but we could have a look at the spec of the machines, it may be possible to configure it to run some stuff as a local application, we'd probably get away with something like Doom or Quake as they don't really use much resources and can probably be run as local applications on the individual clients. There are other games such as FreeCiv, FreeCol and maybe some other games that don't use many resources (maybe Pingus, SuperTux) which also may work fairly well.
Thanks for any comments
You're most welcome.

Rob