Re: [LUG] Cornwall Colocation

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010, Dominic Marks wrote:

Hi List,

Are there any commercial colocation operations in Cornwall? (Near to Falmouth?) I couldn't find any via Google. In fact, the nearest thing I could find was Bristol. My existing London-based provider seems to have sold up to another company, so I'm looking for a backup plan, in case the new lot are rubbish!

This came up a while back - and I think there was one mentioned, but I can't remember it's name or location... Hm. searching, etc. and it might just be http://macace.net/ but I'm not sure if they actually host in Cornwall or are just based and have backup facilities there...

There is SWISP in Exeter and plenty in Bristol (In the "Unicorn" pop, several companies e.g. HNS, Kingston, etc. who share the facilities will offer you bandwidth) and there are a few other "private" ones in Bristol too.

There's been talk forever about building a DC in the south west, but the biggest issue is going to be getting multiple redundant connections into it.. Or do you just privide space, power and AC and let the punters run their own bandwidth, or provide a managed Internet connection for them, etc., etc., etc. ...

I host mostly in Sheffield, but that's mostly because I know & trust the guys that run it more than anything else. I have some stuff in another place in Bristol too, but they're a bit bandwidth limited for anything other than a backup.

If you do find somewhere, let us know!

Gordon