Re: [LUG] Linux Live Distro

Quoting rich@xxxxxxxxxxx:

Hi All

I need some help! I want to download and create some live distros for
use in maintaining and checking Windows systems. So the questions are:
1. What are the best distros to go for please?
2. Would anybody be willing to download and burn them off for me
please? I was going to buy them from a distro site.
3. What tools are useful for checking out windows please? Is there
somewhere I can go to learn more about this please?
4. Would it be better to run from a usb stick = easier to carry?

Many thanks for your help.

Rich

Okay, if it's for Windows, I'd recommend the Ultimate Boot CD, the latest version being 3.5 at 255MB. - http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm

I believe to create the CD you will need an original Windows CD, at a minimum Windows XP with Service Pack 1 integrated (although one with Service Pack 2 integrated would be better) as it will take some files from the CD. You can usually tell on original Windows XP CDs if they include a service pack.

I'd also suggest an Ubuntu LiveCD, you can get these sent to you for free from Canonical by going to https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

You'll be wanting the 32-Bit Desktop CD for Intel/AMD PCs (IIRC it's also known as the i386 version). That'll save you a 700MB download.

Finally I'd also suggest SystemRescue CD (currently on version 1.3.4). It's a 241MB download from here: http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

If you have trouble downloading CDs, I'd suggest using wget (or another download manager).

wget is generally shipped with distros anyway (at least with most of the regular distros I've come across), and it's also available for Windows, and I'm guessing Mac (if it's not already included in OSX).

To use wget, copy the link for the download into the clipboard (generally in Windows and Linux, right click and then select Copy Link Location or something along those lines).

Then open a command prompt/terminal (depending on your OS) and enter the following:

wget -c

and then paste in the link,

for example...

wget -c https://sourceforge.net/projects/systemrescuecd/files/sysresccd-x86/1.3.4/systemrescuecd-x86-1.3.4.iso/download

Then press Enter.  It should hopefully then download the ISO.

the -c option allows the download to continue if it fails, so if for some reason it times out etc you can simply run the same command again and it should (hopefully) continue where it left off rather than restarting the download.

Or you can use a download manager, or maybe download via a Torrent file (Ubuntu has torrents available, you may possibly be able to find torrents for the UBCD and System Rescue CD).

Rob